Frequently Asked Questions

What is Chiropractic?

Chiropractic is the science, philosophy, and art based on the understanding that health depends upon a normally functioning nervous system, especially the spine and nerves extending from the spine to the body. It focuses on correcting the causes of physical problems, rather than just treating the symptoms of those problems. Learn more by clicking on What is Chiropractic and How Chiropractic Works.

Is Chiropractic Safe?

Dozens of research studies have documented the safety and effectiveness of chiropractic adjustments. When compared with traditional medical/drug approaches, chiropractic care is remarkably safe. In fact, millions of chiropractic adjustments are safely delivered to satisfied patients every day. For more information on the safety of chiropractic, click here.

Do Chiropractic Adjustments Hurt?

Quite the contrary. Under normal circumstances, adjustments DO NOT hurt. In fact, most patients look forward to their chiropractic treatments. For those patients suffering from severe neck or back pain, some discomfort may be experienced initially, however, for most people this is not the case.

Will I have to see a chiropractor for the rest of my life?

Most chiropractors promote a preventative type of lifestyle which has been misconstrued to mean that chiropractic care requires a lifetime of commitment. Actually, recommending that patients return for periodic spinal care is no different than what dentists recommend to their patients in order to maintain their dental health. Chiropractic is a holistic form of health care which focuses on the entire body functioning as a whole. Educating patients about their health is our priority, however the choice is always yours.

Do chiropractors only treat back pain?

Although numerous studies support that chiropractic care helps back pain, chiropractic can help a variety of conditions because the key to health is function. Only 10% of the nerves in your body sense pain, the remaining 90% are responsible for function. If the nerves become pinched then there is a loss of function which could produce symptoms such as pain, or other forms of dysfunction. Chiropractic does not "cure" conditions, it physically removes the interference and restores the body's natural state of function and health.

Is Chiropractic Care Expensive?

Chiropractic has consistently shown and proven to be cost effective in a number of government and worker's compensation board studies. According to an economic analysis conducted in Richmond, Virginia, "…chiropractic care has been consistently identified as one of the most effective and cost effective treatments for the management of many low back conditions, in addition to a number of other neuromusculoskeletal disorders. Moreover, the volume of scientific evidence now being compiled makes a compelling case for the use of chiropractic as a means of controlling the escalating costs of our overburdened health care system."